No winter is complete without some applesauce, either as a sweet side instead of chutney on your main dinner, dolloped over your cake, or as a dessert mixed with stem ginger and vegan ice cream. Yum!
Instead of buying from the store, which is usually too sweet anyway, whip up your own applesauce using this vegan recipe of mine.
1 1/2 lbs hand-picked apples
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp maple syrup
3/4 cups water
1. Wash, peel and core apples.
2. Chop apples into chunks and place into a small pot.
3. Drizzle the lemon juice over the apples.
4. If you are using cinnamon sticks, grind into a powder with a blender.
5. Add ground cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup to apples and mix until coated evenly.
6. Add water and bring the mixture to a boil.
7. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
8. As the apples get soft, mash with a potato masher.
9. Serve warm, cold or use as an egg substitute in baking.
Note that you can adjust the amount of maple syrup depending on the sweetness of your apples.