- Livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.
- The amount of water used to produce 1lb. of beef vary greatly from 442 – 8000 gallons, with 2500 gallons a widely cited figure.
- Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction.
- Animal agriculture is responsible for up to 91% of Amazon destruction.
These are just a few of the jaw-dropping statistics that reveal how animal agriculture and our obsession with meat and dairy is devastating our planet, not to mention the horrific suffering inflicted on animals that is inherent within this industry.
We all have a choice in this: we can contribute to the ongoing destruction, or make a lifestyle change.
Use the calculator below to see the impact you will have on the planet if you decide to go vegan. And if you are vegan, you can use the calculator to see what kind of impact you are already having.
Please share this calculator with your friends and show them that the devastation of our planet – the oceans, the air, the rainforests – is very real.
This is not solely about how much we care about animals, it is also about how much we care about the planet that supports our existence and provides the air that our children and their children will breathe.
*The calculator is based on the estimation that each day a vegan saves 1,100 gallons of water, 45 pounds of grain, 30 sq ft of forest, 20 lbs CO2, and avoids being responsible for taking the life of one animal life.
These estimations are based on research provided by the following organisations and articles:
1. Hamerschlag, K., & Venkat, K. (2011). Meat Eater’s Guide to Climate Change & Health. Retrieved from http://static.ewg.org/reports/2011/meateaters/pdf/methodology_ewg_meat_eaters_guide_to_health_and_climate_2011.pdf.
2. Peter Scarborough, Paul N. Appleby, Anja Mizdrak, Adam D. M. Briggs, Ruth C. Travis, Kathryn E. Bradbury, Timothy J. Key. (2011, June 11). Dietary greenhouse gas emissions of meat-eaters, fish-eaters, vegetarians and vegans in the UK. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-014-1169-1.
3. Earth Talk. (n.d.). Measuring the Daily Destruction of the World’s Rainforests. Retrieved from https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-talks-daily-destruction/.
4. Fair & smart use of the world’s fresh water. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.waterfootprint.org/en/.
5. The true impact of animal agriculture.(2018, October 4). Retrieved from http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/.